Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Church or Comedy Club?

This weekend I went to 2 churches. Billy and I do that from time to time. Anyway, the first church we went to was a little disappointing. I mean I love church but this felt more like a clean comedy act. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude or anything, I love humor used in a service, it keeps a person interested but I have to draw the line when the whole talk is nothing but humor and the message gets lost. There was so much more that could have been said on the subject. I know you are probably thinking, well you try to teach. You're right but I can't so maybe I should shut up. But I'm not going to shut up because this is my blog....LOL. I just want to know if anyone other than me thinks that churches are becoming way too "seeker sensitive". I mean have christians gone so far to be relevant that the whole meaning of Christ gets lost?

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I feel like that sometimes. But then I remember that if Dave had talked about something crazy deep my first time there that I would have been running for the door...

By the way, I landed here like this- Dave linked to Joe, Joe linked to Annie, Annie to you! :-)

youseedrybones said...

We did an experiment in my class. We divided the board into two section, the left was things we would teach new church members, the right was things we would avoid until later. The left included seeker topics, the left were things like; the end times, God's wrath, judgment, and the like. Well, Paul wrote to the Thessalonian church after knowing them three weeks (read the story in Acts) and the topics he covered included wrath, judgment, and the end times.
Just something to think about.
If its good enough for Paul, its good enough for me.